
No, I didn't spell resolutions wrong. For me, I'm usually recycling resolutions I wanted to conquer years prior, so this is just another revolution of other years' attempts. But this year I'm not going to expect to really conquer the goal. I'm just going to be pleasantly surprised with each new week the goal is still being accomplished.
This year's goal is to wean myself from the world. To wean means to gradually withdraw from some object, habit, form of enjoyment, or the like. I like that definition because it's going to take all year. I love email, internet news , gaming, movies and music. These are not bad things if in moderation. But they certainly are time fillers and at this time in my life, I need to buy some time back. In fact, right now I would be better off budgeting time than money! Here is an example that illustrates the importance.
Every night Dill and I are parallel processing house work. On more than a few nights a week, only one of us is home and trying to get dishes done and keep the baby happy while getting the kids to clean their rooms and get ready for bed. On my shift, I am constantly walking back and forth from kids' rooms ( to rekindle the cleaning objective) to kitchen ( to clean the kitchen or wash baby bottles) to our bedroom (watch television). Isn't that STUPID!?! What is this strong draw to television? Where has my work ethic gone and my desire to be with my kids? How are they going to learn to work if I don't work with them? What on tv is worth the pacing, the nagging and the carpet wear I'm causing? What importance of television am I teaching my children that I must run to my room to watch between naggings? It's ridiculous and I know that. So that's my goal, stop caring so much about the world. I gain nothing from most of it. What gets me in hindsight is that I'm again having to temper it all at 32 years old when I've been on a mission and married a woman who daily personifies where our time should be spent. That should make it easier, shouldn't it?

5 comments:
After having watched you and Danielle in action this past weekend, I completely understand where you're coming from! Even with two sets of parents holding a baby or playing with the other children, you two were still always busy! Hang it there - you're doing great! Love you!
I used to be glued to the TV when I'd get home. I always felt I would miss a ton if I didn't watch every minute! Over the last year with owning a home and spending more of my time with Scott and updating the house, these TV moments went away. I don't need the TV anymore and it feels wonderful. Believe me, I still watch, but if I miss a show it's not the end of the world! Good luck with everything!
There is something about television that entraps us all, I think. My worst was after we had Miss Priss and I stayed home a lot for the first few months. With no cable and not a whole lot on tv, I started to watch a few soaps. One day while shopping at WalMart, cart full and on my way to the checkout, I realized if I waited in line, I wouldn't be home in time to see General Hospital. I left my cart there in the isle and drove home.
On my way home, after realizing how terribly pathetic I had become, I decided I needed that to change. I didn't watch that day, and I haven't watched them since. What is it about tv shows that has the ability to get us so hooked?
That picture is so sweet! Did you take it?
We don't have cable and only get a few local TV channels. It's a blessing in disguise because there's really not much to watch. It's amazing what you can get done when you're "unplugged."
I miss your posts!
Post a Comment