I noticed (as usual) that Dill had already gotten up with him, so obviously he was being taken care of and I could go back to La La Land.
It was hard to ignore that crying. Minutes later, Dill comes storming in, shrugging and frustrated that the crying continues. I give my groggy, one liner advice and she huffs because I hadn't even thought to get out of bed. I can tell she's still frustrated but we remain silent and listen to our unsilent baby in the next room for a few minutes. Then my bride reminds me that the binky withdrawals we've waded through the last week and half was my idea. So I peeled my unwilling body off of our warm bed and start dressing.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?"
"I'm going to get a BINKY!"
"Then we'll have to do this whole thing AGAIN!?!"
"What do you want me to do!?!"
I'll stop right there. She climbed in bed and I took my turn trying to sooth Mr. Loud. Within a few minutes, he was ASLEEP!
Now you can ask about the title (maybe you've already guessed it). Getting Thomas to sleep quickly is like opening a peaches jar. Each time Dill chooses to have peaches, she grabs a jar from the pantry and starts twisting. After a few worthy tries, she inevitably hands the jar to me. I twist and the lid comes off.
The point here is that I can't take the credit for the lid, the quick switch to sleeping or well behaved kids (I can only say that about a few of them anyway). I owe about 99.9% of it to a great wife, a loving Heavenly Father, and personalities that just came to us from Heaven.

2 comments:
Man, I've known a few of those nights!!!! Then you get spoiled when they really do start sleeping well and you think "Do I really want to do this all over again with another one?"
I must agree with you that Danielle is amazing! I wish I were more like her.
That was well put!
Post a Comment