Sunday, June 08, 2008

Q.C.

10 years ago I met a beautiful young woman who was such a stark contrast to the girl I was dating, I had to end things with my girlfriend and start pursuing her regardless of the consequences. I noticed her at a young single adult church branch I was only visiting.


It's hard to describe what I noticed about her. Singles wards were not established to be a place to get noticed, but they often have that reputation. Like peacocks young women (and young men) sometimes prance around hoping to get noticed. What I noticed about this girl is that she did not care to be noticed. As we stood in the cultural hall of her ward building, waiting for a potluck lunch to start, what she did seem to care about, was making the people of her ward feel welcomed. There were many other things I noticed about her that day that I'll keep to myself!

I was blessed to get invited to her home a few months later. Her family was warm and inviting (By the way, I can talk all I want about them in this blog because they rarely use the internet, he he). I started noticing a quality about her family that I haven't been able to assign a phrase to in ten years of admiration. But I heard a phrase that fits perfectly today as I listened to our inspired stake president give our ward counsel in sacrament meeting. He said that we need to be "quietly consistent" in living the gospel of Jesus Christ. Yeah, doesn't that sound like a cool phrase? Well to me it does, and I am anything but quiet or consistent. But I really like the idea.

As I think about my years of friendship to my wife's family, what stands out most about their way of life, is their quiet consistency. It is so refreshing to be around people who don't want the lime light, but want to get the job done right...completely...every time. I know that those who know me are probably going to do a quick introspection (or wonder why someone who has none of this quality would want to write about it and expose himself as lacking) and that is not my intent. I just noticed this family has this stuff overflowing and I wanted to tell the world. As a society, we (I) could sure use more.

9 comments:

Kim said...

Wow, that was a nice tribute to your in-laws. And I think you have more of that quality than you give yourself credit for. Shoot, after ten years, they HAVE to be rubbing off on you a little bit, right? What a blessing it is to marry into a family that you love. I feel that, too.

Shawna said...

Well that was beautiful Michael, and I'm not being sarcastic in any way. I really enjoyed reading this post.

Natalie said...

What Ever, we us the internet all the time. You better check things a little closer Next time. Okay so it is mostly true. I married into the family to so you really can pretty much what you want only the inlaws use the internet(hehehe). We sure miss you guys and glad things are going well for you. When are you going to take a trip up to see us??

Jane Ellen said...

You have very deep thoughts! I totally agree with you about the Bradleys. They are amazing!

Glennard said...

(This is Kristen, I don't know why it is posting me as Glenn) I loved this post, Miguel. I adore that wife of yours too and think she is a marvel. I often come away from your home wanting to be more like her. As for you, I have always loved your ability to be genuine and care so much- I do not doubt that is why you two make such a powerhouse duo.

Jane Ellen said...

I must say I agree with everything you said. The check is in the mail-

Johnny B

Natalie said...

thanks for a very fun weekend it was nice to see you all again. you will have to go look at the slide show on me blog. Hope you all have a wonderful week.

A & M Ras said...

Imagine my surprise as I am blog stalking and what do I come across. My good friends, whom I set up, have a blog and do not tell me about it. RUDE!!!! Well you can check out my blog at whatmenliveby.blogspot.com

Mindy said...

We need a new post from you! ;)