
Hello World! The 1st program every programmer learns, whatever the language, is a program which outputs "Hello World" to the screen. I know this is going to a limited audience, but thanks for reading. I have wondered and wondered why this blogging caught such fire in my family. Blog is a short term for "web log". That surely isn't an exciting enough fact to get one started writing their mind and publishing it to the world...
...and then I remembered something I wanted not too long ago. I had this brilliant idea to send a newspaper looking newsletter to my Parents and Grandpa that said what we were doing a little world away from them. I wrote my first, then my 2nd, and then I think my 3rd newsletter was saved for publishing on my desktop, and never was sent. Months later I found out my uncle had his own family website equipped with calendar and photos and all the trimmings. That sounded good but looked high maintenance. But the urge remained to keep the family informed and to be informed of the family.
Well, you win. This IS a good idea. I'm not doing it for my health or my family history (I feel silly doing it when my journal is so out of date), I'm doing it for Mom. That's right, at 32 years old, I'm just doing it because Mom wants me to. I figure fringe benefits will pop up just like they always have when I have done what my parents have asked me to. No, I don't mean money or favoritism, but I do mean blessings...like my family getting to know me even though we're far apart, taking note of precious moments to publish and remember, and sharing epiphanies that may help someone else who also hadn't thought of the idea before.
Now about that dang blog title, WHEW that was hard! It took me a full day of brainstorming. I wanted it to fit my personality, I wanted to include my bride, I wanted shock value so people would get all the way to the paragraph before losing interest. I don't think I nailed it, but I do believe I found a goal for this site which I believe we all share, interesting reading. I won't make any promises of frequency in writing, but I promise that what I write was extra ordinary for me and that's why it got here.
Look forward to your comments.
-Miguel

10 comments:
Hello to you too! It's so great to have you with us. We love you guys and are excited to see what else you'll post.
I'm so glad that the Boise folk are now joined with us online! Now we just have to convince Spence that this is a good idea and we'll have conquered the whole family.
Mike, I know what you mean when you talk about trying to think of names for the blog. All the good ones are already taken! It can take forever and the titles that we can come up with become less and less engaging. "spatula.blogspot.com" "cyllinder.blogspot.com"
by the way, I love that you used that picture of Mom and Christian (that I took) It is a really good looking one (if I do say so myself).
Welcome, welcome!!! Gorgeous picture! I'm excited for you to join us so we can keep up with the Boise Bunch, too! Posts don't have to be anything fabulous, we're interested to know how the kids are doing in the new school year, how the pregnancy is going, and any and everything else going on. Can't wait for more!
Well, after years of nagging, I finally talked your grandfather into his memoirs, and now I've (somehow) motivated you to begin! You weren't nearly the hard sell your Granddad was! You know, I still have your "newletters" and always hoped your might start them again, but this is even better! Thanks, my dear! This will be fun!
Thanks for your comments guys/girls. It's encouraging. We'll write more Sunday...
Ditto to all of the above! I'm so glad to see your blog and my kids will be watching for pictures of your kids!
Ah, the power of a mother! (Will my kids ever reach the stage that they'll do something just because it might make me happy?!?)
By the way, happy birthday Danielle, Michael, and Megan!!!
Boy, I sure use a lot of exclamation marks!
Sweet dude. I'm really looking forward to reading your future entries! I'm glad you're doing this.
Oops...that last one was from Ty.
:)
Post a Comment