More significant words could not come out of my 2 year old’s mouth than these. He can’t yet say “more” or “Daddy” accurately, but Chewy’s message is clear. “Please do to me again what you did before because I like it!” And as one of the 6 toddler throwin’ Harmons, I consent! What’s great about this phrase is that usually, it’s something I wanted to do to my kid before he liked it because I thought it would be funny. And when he gives the green light, “Moe Doddy”, we have found something that we both are going to get a kick out of for the next few minutes (some of these activities may not fit the ideal parenting mold we have agreed upon as a responsible parenting body and if you can guess any of these, you ain’t heard nothin’ from me).“Moe Doddy” can say as much to me as “During these short developmental years while I can’t really talk, this activity will help me develop a stronger friendship with you early on” or it can say as little as “I love you.” Both of those can radiate from Chewy’s face while he says this short phrase. I thank Heaven it can be said without the letter R because we males struggle with that letter in our home, but the phrase comes through crystal clear! By the way, we’ve started chanting around the house in slow, rhythmic, soul tones the words, “Moe Daddy, Moe Daddy, Moe Daddy” to the tune of “Go white boy, go white boy.” Can you hear it through the web page? This is when adding audio would be nice on a blogger. Jojo Chavez and Maggy O’Mara join in without solicitation just like we boys used to gather in unison to say “OOOOHHHHHH” whenever a cutting burn was mentioned at the dinner table some 15 years ago.
One more highlight to this little boy: he’s a good boy. You will all get to know him, the more we visit, as our first bad tempered hitter. But he’s a good boy deep down in there and I’ll prove it. Dill and I were eating ice cream with just this boy at lunch this week. I had my usual mounds that bend the bowl they’re placed in. Dill had her usual widow’s mite that could fit in one of her tiny Chinese bowls. Christian quickly finished his toddler portion (that’s my boy, a piece of his Grandfather, he is). He wants more and Dill keeps halving hers and sharing with him. Well, I see this as an injustice (I’m almost all growd up) and I asked Chewy if he was really going to take the last of his Mommy’s ice cream for himself. Yes, I used these adult words, and he understood them. As she put her final scoop in his bowl, he looked at me, then at her, and then three things happened simultaneously. The lower lip came out, tears filled his lower eye lids, and his hands moved back near his ribs. He held that position for longer than either of us parents could take it. We both consoled him but he didn’t take another bite until we’d convinced him it was okay and that he wasn’t TAKING Mom’s helping, just receiving it. I can’t yet decipher if it was my crushing guilt trip or his own realization that Mom didn’t have anymore because he now had more, that caused all that. But it happened and it showed me I have a good boy. Until next time…-Miguel

6 comments:
How lucky you are to be writing these things down because, believe it or not, you won't remember them forever! I love the times we all get together as a family now and reminisce. You all remember things I'd forgotten and it rang little bells in my heart (unless it was some "bad mamma" thing). Enjoy these years - they are so special! Thanks for sharing!
What a precious story. It's fun reading your blogs Michael! It helps bring the gaps together for all you out-of-towners.
Thought you might like these photos! See you soon.
Awesome boy! I love reading your stories. I understand the situation that all of those who do not sleep in the same house with your child will think he's irritable. I keep telling people how wonderful Max is, but will he perform around family? Of course not, that would make me look good and honest. Or at least like a good mother. Right now I just look like a liar, but the truth will be known one day!
By the way, I think you should call us and ask us what we are doing Oct. 7th.
What a sweet story. And a sweet little boy. I hope you feel bad for making him cry like that. You're mean. Just teasing, of course.
I do wish we could see each other more. Our kids don't know each other nearly well enough.
Sounds like Glenn and Kristen are coming, too. Yeah!!! It's going to be a full house. What fun! I can't wait.
You're right, Kristen confirmed with me that they are coming to St. George to visit The Man and The Woman too! Can't wait to see Devil Child n action! Thanks you all for reading and commenting!!!
Post a Comment